ATM Owners and Operators
With the upcoming EMV chip liability shifts for ATM transactions, there are a lot of considerations that ATM owners and operators need to be aware of as they migrate to chip technology. The resources on this page provide a range of educational material – from EMV basics to detailed guidance on the choices that ATM owners and operators need to make to support chip technology.
- EMV Fundamentals
- ATM EMV Technical Education and Implementation Guidance
- Other EMV Technical Education and Implementation Guidance
- Payments Industry Resources on EMV
- Other Payments Industry Resources
- Chip Card Video
This video explains what chip cards are, why consumers are receiving them, and how to use them in stores and at ATMs.
- EMV 101 Webinar
This recorded webinar provides a primer on EMV chip payments. The webinar provides comprehensive overview of EMV chip payments, including the EMV transaction flow and options for card authentication, cardholder verification and transaction authorization.
- Glossary of Standardized Terminology
The glossary defines a set of standard terminology for common chip, EMV, and EMV migration terms for use in educational and marketing communications relating to the U.S. migration.
- Minimum EMV Chip Card and Terminal Requirements – U.S.
This resource defines the minimum card and terminal EMV requirements for payment networks American Express, Armed Forces Financial Network (AFFN), China UnionPay, Discover, Jeanie, MasterCard, NYCE, PULSE, SHAZAM, STAR and Visa, in the context of the U.S. electronic payments marketplace and the October 2015 liability shifts.
- Understanding the U.S. EMV Fraud Liability Shifts
This U.S. Payments Forum white paper provides information that was collected from payment networks on the counterfeit and lost or stolen fraud liability shifts for POS devices, ATMs, and AFDs.
- EMV Troubleshooting Guide for ATM Owners and Operators
This U.S. Payments Forum white paper provides guidance for ATM owners/operators to help prevent and troubleshoot common transaction problems.
- Implementing EMV at the ATM Webinar
This webinar recording provides a non-technical review of the critical components of the EMV implementation process at ATMs.
- Implementing EMV at the ATM White Paper
This white paper provides an educational resource for stakeholders responsible for the implementation of EMV at the ATM in the U.S.
- Implementing EMV at the ATM Workshop
The U.S. Payments Forum and ATM Industry Association (ATMIA) are hosting a workshop, “Implementing EMV at the ATM,” on February 14, 2017, during ATMIA U.S. Conference in Orlando, Florida.
- Implementing EMV at the ATM: PIN Change at the ATM
This white paper provides guidance provide for ATM owners and issuers who are contemplating implementing PIN change at the ATM as part of, or subsequent to, their U.S. EMV migration.
- Implementing EMV in the U.S.: How the U.S. Common Debit AIDs Facilitate Debit Transaction Routing and Ensure Durbin Compliance
This video recording provides an overview of the U.S. Common Debit AIDs and how they facilitate debit transaction routing and ensure Durbin compliance.
- U.S. Debit EMV Technical Proposal
This white paper defines recommendations for a debit technical framework for the U.S. payments industry.
- Cardholder Verification Methods: Concepts, Implementations, and Impacts
This video recording reviews EMV Cardholder Verification Method concepts, implementation and impact on issuers, ATM owners, merchants, and cardholders.
- Contact Chip Card Online Authentication
This animated presentation provides a clear description of how an EMV transaction is secured using “cryptograms.”
- EMV Best Practices Web Resource
The searchable best practices web resource to provide easy-to-find answers on commonly asked questions about best practices for implementing EMV chip technology.
- EMV Chargeback Best Practices
This white paper discusses the appropriate treatment and mitigation of both counterfeit and lost/stolen chip liability shift chargebacks occurring after the liability shift dates for contact chip cards used in attended transactions. The white paper includes best practices for issuers, merchants (both chip-enabled and non-chip-enabled) and acquirers.
- EMV Implementation Guidance: Fallback Transactions
This guidance document was developed for merchants, independent software vendors (ISVs), value-added resellers (VARs) and acquirers/processors who may have been experiencing high fallback rates. The guidance outlines potential causes of fallback transactions and actions that can be taken to address the problem.
- American Express