Knowledge Center : EMV Implementation
- Best Practices in Support of EMV Instant Issuance
This recorded webinar discusses the best practices for issuers transitioning to instant issuance of EMV chip cards.
- Canadian Technical Card Acceptance
This U.S. Payments Forum resource provides implementation guidance on application selection logic used by U.S. POS terminals to enable interoperability when processing Canadian cards.
- Cardholder Verification Methods: Concepts, Implementations, and Impacts
This video recording reviews EMV Cardholder Verification Method concepts, implementation and impact on issuers, ATM owners, merchants, and cardholders.
- Chip Education for VARs, ISVs and Merchants
The Payments Security Task Force and EMV Migration Forum collaborated to develop educational chip education webcasts for U.S. value added resellers, independent software vendors and merchant
- Contact Chip Card Online Authentication
This presentation provides a clear description of how an EMV transaction is secured using “cryptograms”
- Dual-Interface Card Personalization
This U.S. Payments Forum resource provides the issuing community with an educational resource on ODA and provides recommendations for issuing and personalizing dual-interface cards for the U.S. market.
- EMV 101 Webinar
This recorded webinar provides a primer on EMV chip payments, including the EMV transaction flow and options for card authentication, cardholder verification and transaction authorization
- EMV Best Practices Web Resource
This searchable web resource to provide easy-to-find answers on commonly asked questions about best practices for implementing EMV chip technology.
- EMV Chargeback Best Practices
This white paper discusses the appropriate treatment and mitigation of both counterfeit and lost/stolen chip liability shift chargebacks occurring after the liability shift dates for contact chip cards used in attended transactions. The white paper and webinar include best practices for issuers, merchants (both chip-enabled and non-chip-enabled) and acquirers.
- EMV Chargeback Best Practices webinar
This recorded webinar discusses the appropriate treatment and mitigation of both counterfeit and lost/stolen chip liability shift chargebacks occurring after the liability shift dates for contact chip cards used in attended transactions. The white paper includes best practices for issuers, merchants (both chip-enabled and non-chip-enabled) and acquirers.
- The EMV Ecosystem: An Interactive Experience for the Payments Community
This interactive PowerPoint presentation provides an overview of the full EMV ecosystem, with participants who play roles in EMV issuance, acceptance and transaction processes.
- EMV Implementation Guidance: Fallback Transactions
The U.S. Payments Forum developed this guidance document for merchants, independent software vendors (ISVs), value-added resellers (VARs) and acquirers/processors who may have been experiencing high fallback rates. The guidance outlines potential causes of fallback transactions and actions that can be taken to address the problem.
- EMV Receipt Best Practices
This U.S. Payments Forum white paper reviews recommendations and requirements for data elements found on receipts for chip-on-chip transactions
- EMV Troubleshooting Guide for ATM Owners and Operators
This U.S. Payments Forum white paper provides guidance for ATM owners/operators to help prevent and troubleshoot common transaction problems
- EMV Workshop for VARs, ISVs and ISOs
This recorded workshop provides a comprehensive review of chip technology and focused sessions on the development process and implementation best practices.
- Guidelines for Contactless ATM Transactions – A Guide for ATM Owners and Operators. This U.S. Payments Forum white paper provides guidelines and best practices for accepting contactless transactions completed with Near Field Communication (NFC)-enabled mobile wallets and contactless-enabled chip cards at the ATM.
- Implementing EMV at the ATM– Version 2
This white paper provides an educational resource for stakeholders responsible for the implementation of EMV at the ATM in the U.S. The white paper includes discussion of the use of the U.S. Common Debit AID in various ATM transaction scenarios.
- Implementing EMV at the ATM Webinar
This webinar recording provides a non-technical review of the critical components of the EMV implementation process at ATMs.
- Implementing EMV at the ATM: PIN Change at the ATM
This white paper provides guidance provide for ATM owners and issuers who are contemplating implementing PIN change at the ATM as part of, or subsequent to, their U.S. EMV migration.
- Implementing EMV in the U.S.: Best Practices in Support of EMV Instant Issuance
This white paper provides an educational resource for issuers that documents the best practices for transitioning an existing instant issuance solution to support the issuance of EMV chip cards.
- Implementing EMV in the U.S.: How the U.S. Common Debit AIDs Facilitate Debit Transaction Routing and Ensure Durbin Compliance
This video recording provides an overview of the U.S. Common Debit AIDs and how they facilitate debit transaction routing and ensure Durbin compliance.
- Managing Card-Based Tip and Gratuity Payments for EMV Chip
The U.S. Payments Forum is providing information on how to best manage tips and gratuities as the U.S. migrates to chip, and what options restaurant owners and other merchants in travel and entertainment can pursue. This document is intended to provide a high-level overview of tip processing in EMV chip environment.
- Merchant Considerations for U.S. Chip Migration
This recorded webinar provides guidance on the status of the U.S. migration, considerations for making the decision to accept chip payments, and tools to begin project planning for chip card acceptance implementation.
- Merchant and Issuer Error Data Collection Forms
This U.S. Payments Forum resource provides a tool for gathering information to determine the source of transaction errors.
- Merchant Processing during Communications Disruption
This white paper was developed to discuss best practices for merchants processing EMV chip transactions when communications are disrupted. The white paper discusses three processing options: EMV offline authorization; deferred authorization of an EMV card transaction; and force post of an EMV card transaction.
- Minimum EMV Chip Card and Terminal Requirements – U.S.
This resource defines the minimum card and terminal EMV requirements for payment networks American Express, Armed Forces Financial Network (AFFN), China UnionPay, Discover, Jeanie, MasterCard, NYCE, PULSE, SHAZAM, STAR and Visa, in the context of the U.S. electronic payments marketplace and the October 2015 liability shifts. The July 2016 Version 2 release updates the minimum requirements matrix for chip deployment, including changes to incorporate requirements for the recently announced faster EMV solutions from American Express, Discover, MasterCard and Visa.
- Optimizing Transaction Speed at the POS
This U.S. Payments Forum white paper presents on three categories of approaches to help speed transactions and discusses their potential impacts for each stakeholder group in the U.S. payments ecosystem: “Faster EMV” solutions, contactless/Near Field Communication (NFC) transactions, and other EMV checkout optimization practices. For each category, a detailed description and analysis are presented, including considerations and implications for various stakeholder groups.
- PIN Bypass in the U.S. Market
The white paper was developed to provide an educational resource on the EMV function of PIN Entry Bypass, how it can be implemented in the U.S. market, other actions that may process transactions allowing selection of cardholder verification method, and how those actions differ from PIN Entry Bypass.
- Signature Best Practices
This U.S. Payments Forum white paper reviews suggested best practices for capturing and storing signatures on receipts, with input from global and domestic payment networks.
- Understanding Fraud Liability for EMV Contact and Contactless Transactions in the U.S.
This updated U.S. Payments Forum white paper reviews payment network fraud liability policies for EMV contact and contactless transactions in the U.S.
- U.S. Debit EMV Technical Proposal
This white paper defines recommendations for a debit technical framework for the U.S. payments industry.