In planning migrations to EMV chip technology, acquirers/processors need to consider the requirements to support contact and contactless EMV chip technology and the support that will be required to equip merchants with EMV-compliant POS solutions.
The resources on this site provide a range of educational material – from EMV basics to detailed guidance on what acquirers and processors need to implement to support chip card transactions.
- EMV Fundamentals
- EMV Communications Best Practices
- EMV Technical Education and Implementation Guidance
- EMV White Papers
- Card-Not-Present Fraud
- EMV Workshops
- EMV Educational Webinars
- Payments Industry Resources on EMV
- Other Payments Industry Resources
- Chip Card Video
This video explains what chip cards are, why consumers are receiving them, and how to use them in stores and at ATMs.
- Chip Education for VARs, ISVs and Merchants
These recorded webcasts were developed by the Payments Security Task Force and EMV Migration Forum to provide educational resources for U.S. value added resellers, independent software vendors and merchant.
- EMV 101 Webinar
This recorded webinar provides a primer on EMV chip payments. The webinar provides comprehensive overview of EMV chip payments, including the EMV transaction flow and options for card authentication, cardholder verification and transaction authorization.
- EMV Chip Cards: The Future of Payments
This EMV Migration Forum infographic explains the must-know facts about U.S. EMV Migration.
- The EMV Ecosystem: An Interactive Experience for the Payments Community
This interactive PowerPoint presentation provides an overview of the full EMV ecosystem, with participants who play roles in EMV issuance, acceptance and transaction processes.
- EMV Frequently Asked Questions
This FAQ answers common questions about EMV.
Developed by the EMV Migration Forum and the Payments Security Task Force for consumers, merchants and issuers, the GoChipCard.com web site provides easy-to-use and simple resources, and consistent messages about chip cards and their use. Merchants and issuers are encouraged to use the website content in developing communications with customers, cardholders and employees. Merchant and issuer resources include a training FAQ, a merchant infographic and communications best practices.
- Minimum EMV Chip Card and Terminal Requirements – U.S.
This resource defines the minimum card and terminal EMV requirements for payment networks American Express, Armed Forces Financial Network (AFFN), China UnionPay, Discover, Jeanie, MasterCard, NYCE, PULSE, SHAZAM, STAR and Visa, in the context of the U.S. electronic payments marketplace and the October 2015 liability shifts.
- Understanding the 2015 U.S. Fraud Liability Shifts
This resource provides information that was collected from Accel, American Express, China UnionPay, Discover, MasterCard, NYCE Payments Network, SHAZAM Network, STAR Network and Visa on the counterfeit and lost or stolen liability shifts to assist merchants, acquirers, processors and others implementing EMV chip technology in the U.S. with their migration.
- Using Chip Cards
See how chip cards are used to pay with this short video.
EMV Communications Best Practices
- Effective Communication Practices for U.S. Chip Migration Webinar
This recorded webinar provides guidance to help industry stakeholders create sound communication strategies that will help the U.S. market understand and embrace chip payments and their many security benefits.
- Glossary of Standardized Terminology
The EMV Migration Forum developed a glossary that defines a set of standard terminology for common chip, EMV, and EMV migration terms for use in educational and marketing communications relating to the U.S. migration.
- Recommended Communications Best Practices
This guide provides a step-by-step resource for issuers and merchants to develop effective messaging and education approaches during the U.S. migration to chip technology.
EMV Technical Education and Implementation Guidance
- Cardholder Verification Methods: Concepts, Implementations, and Impacts
This video recording reviews EMV Cardholder Verification Method concepts, implementation and impact on issuers, ATM owners, merchants, and cardholders.
- Contact Chip Card Online Authentication
This animated presentation provides a clear description of how an EMV transaction is secured using “cryptograms.”
- EMV 101 for the Healthcare Industry
This Smart Card Alliance white paper was developed to provide an educational resource on EMV chip migration for the healthcare industry. The white paper describes EMV chip technology, discusses the impact of EMV for healthcare providers and hospital systems, and outlines how the healthcare industry can prepare for EMV chip migration.
- EMV Best Practices Web Resource
The EMV Migration Forum developed this searchable web resource to provide easy-to-find answers on commonly asked questions about best practices for implementing EMV chip technology.
- EMV Chargeback Best Practices
This white paper discusses the appropriate treatment and mitigation of both counterfeit and lost/stolen chip liability shift chargebacks occurring after the liability shift dates for contact chip cards used in attended transactions. The white paper includes best practices for issuers, merchants (both chip-enabled and non-chip-enabled) and acquirers.
- EMV Implementation Guidance: Fallback Transactions
The U.S. Payments Forum developed this guidance document for merchants, independent software vendors (ISVs), value-added resellers (VARs) and acquirers/processors who may have been experiencing high fallback rates. The guidance outlines potential causes of fallback transactions and actions that can be taken to address the problem.
- EMV and NFC: Complementary Technologies Enabling Secure Contactless Payments
This Smart Card Alliance white paper explains how EMV and NFC are companion technologies and clarify how they work together to enable secure payments.
- EMV and Parking
This Smart Card Alliance white paper was developed in partnership with theInternational Parking Institute to provide parking industry stakeholders with an educational resource about the critical aspects of deploying an EMV solution in the parking infrastructure.
- EMV Testing and Certification White Paper: Current Global Payment Network Requirements for the U.S. Acquiring Community
The EMV Migration Forum Testing and Certification Working Committee published this updated white paper to define the current processes required to test EMV chip transactions with American Express, Discover, MasterCard, and Visa. The white paper is intended to provide a clear approach to acquirer host and EMV chip terminal testing and certification and includes examples of use cases that identify when testing or retesting is required for EMV chip and contactless terminals, when retesting is recommended as a best practice, and when only standard internal testing is advised.
- Implementing EMV at the ATM
This EMV Migration Forum white paper provides an educational resource for stakeholders responsible for the implementation of EMV at the ATM in the U.S.
- Implementing EMV at the ATM: PIN Change at the ATM
This EMV Migration Forum white paper provides guidance provide for ATM owners and issuers who are contemplating implementing PIN change at the ATM as part of, or subsequent to, their U.S. EMV migration.
- Implementing EMV in the U.S.: How the U.S. Common Debit AIDs Facilitate Debit Transaction Routing and Ensure Durbin Compliance
This video recording provides an overview of the U.S. Common Debit AIDs and how they facilitate debit transaction routing and ensure Durbin compliance.
- Large Scale Payment Data Breaches Highlight Need for U.S. Card Issuers and Retailers to Move More Quickly to Smart Chip Payment Technology
This brief discusses the security features of EMV chip payment technology and summarizes how these features strengthen the security of payment transactions.
- Managing Card-Based Tip and Gratuity Payments for EMV Chip
The EMV Migration Forum is providing information on how to best manage tips and gratuities as the U.S. migrates to chip, and what options restaurant owners and other merchants in travel and entertainment can pursue. This document is intended to provide a high-level overview of tip processing in EMV chip environment.
- Merchant Processing during Communications Disruption
This white paper was developed to discuss best practices for merchants processing EMV chip transactions when communications are disrupted. The white paper discusses three processing options: EMV offline authorization; deferred authorization of an EMV card transaction; and force post of an EMV card transaction.
- Optimizing Transaction Speed at the POS
This U.S. Payments Forum white paper presents on three categories of approaches to help speed transactions and discusses their potential impacts for each stakeholder group in the U.S. payments ecosystem: “Faster EMV” solutions, contactless/Near Field Communication (NFC) transactions, and other EMV checkout optimization practices. For each category, a detailed description and analysis are presented, including considerations and implications for various stakeholder groups.
- PIN Bypass in the U.S. Market
The white paper was developed to provide an educational resource on the EMV function of PIN Entry Bypass, how it can be implemented in the U.S. market, other actions that may process transactions allowing selection of cardholder verification method, and how those actions differ from PIN Entry Bypass.
- Technologies for Payment Fraud Prevention: EMV, Encryption and Tokenization
This white paper describes the role of EMV, encryption and tokenization for securing the payments infrastructure and preventing payment fraud.
- U.S. Debit EMV Technical Proposal
This EMV Migration Forum white paper defines recommendations for a debit technical framework for the U.S. payments industry.
- Contactless EMV Payments: Benefits for Consumers, Merchants and Issuers
This Smart Card Alliance white paper provides a fresh look at contactless payments in the current U.S. payments environment that is embracing both EMV and NFC-enabled mobile devices.
- Contactless Payments Security Q&A
This Smart Card Alliance Q&A document answers questions about the security of contactless payment transactions.
- Healthcare Identity Authentication and Payments Convergence: A Vision for the Healthcare Industry
This Smart Card Alliance white paper was developed to outline a vision for healthcare identity authentication and payments convergence and to provide insight into the opportunities and challenges afforded to the healthcare community as the U.S. migrates to EMV.
- Card-Not-Present Fraud: A Primer on Trends and Transaction Authentication Processes
This white paper discusses the impact of and need to address card-not-present fraud in conjunction with migration to EMV in the U.S.
- CNP Fraud around the World
This U.S. Payments Forum white paper reviews the status of CNP fraud in countries that have migrated or are in the process of migrating to EMV. Included are statistics and information for the U.K., France, Australia, Canada and the U.S. from numerous sources.
- Near-Term Solutions to Address the Growing Threat of Card-Not-Present Fraud
This EMV Migration Forum white paper provides an educational resource on the existing best practices for authentication methods and fraud tools to secure the card-not-present (CNP) channel, given the potential increase in CNP fraud as EMV chip cards replace magnetic stripe only cards in the U.S.
- EMV Workshop for VARs, ISVs and ISOs.
This recorded workshop provides a comprehensive review of chip technology and focused sessions on the development process and implementation best practices.
- How EMV Changes Payment Workshop.
This video workshop provides an in-depth educational resource to assist issuers, acquirers/processors and merchants plan for EMV migration.
EMV Educational Webinars
- Contactless EMV Payments: Issuer Opportunities
This webinar, hosted by the Smart Card Alliance Payments Council, discusses the opportunities that contactless EMV payments offer to issuers. The webinar answers the most important questions about the adoption of contactless payments, such as: how contactless fits into today’s payment industry; what is different from earlier adoption attempts; and why the ideal time to go contactless is now.
- Contactless EMV Payments: Merchant Opportunities
This webinar, hosted by the Smart Card Alliance Payments Council, discusses the opportunities that contactless EMV payments offer to merchants. The webinar answers the most important questions about the adoption of contactless payments, such as: how contactless fits into today’s payment industry; what is different from earlier adoption attempts; and why the ideal time to go contactless is now.
- EMV Chargeback Best Practices
This recorded U.S. Payments Forum webinar discusses the appropriate treatment and mitigation of both counterfeit and lost/stolen chip liability shift chargebacks occurring after the liability shift dates for contact chip cards used in attended transactions.
- EMV for Merchants and Acquirers: U.S. Migration Considerations.
This webinar provides a primer on EMV for U.S. merchants and acquirers.
- The Evolution of Payment Specifications and Tokenization Webinar Series
The Smart Card Alliance and EMVCo hosted a two-part webinar series to review the status of payment specifications and tokenization.
- Implementing EMV at the ATM Webinar
This EMV Migration Forum webinar recording provides a non-technical review of the critical components of the EMV implementation process at ATMs.
- Merchant Considerations for U.S. Chip Migration
This webinar, held in partnership with the National Retail Federation, will provide guidance to educate merchants on the global use of chip cards, the status of the U.S. migration, considerations for making the decision to accept chip payments, and tools to begin project planning for chip card acceptance implementation.
- Near-Term Solutions to Address the Growing Threat of Card-Not-Present Fraud webinar.
This recorded webinar discusses the best practices for authentication methods and fraud tools to provide protection of the card-not-present channel.
Payments Industry Resources on EMV
- American Express
- ACT Canada
Other Payments Industry Resources
- ATM Industry Association
- Australian Payments Clearing Association fraud statistics
- Canadian Bankers Association, Credit Card Fraud and Interac Debit Card Fraud Statistics – Canadian Issued Cards
- Card Payments Roadmap in the U.S.: How Will EMV Impact the Future Payments Infrastructure?,
white paper with a primer on EMV and actions that need to be taken to issue EMV chip cards and to accept and process EMV chip transactions.
- The Changing U.S. Payments Landscape: Impact on Payment Transactions at Physical Stores, white paper reviewing new innovations in payment trends and devices.
- Debit Network Alliance
- Electronic Transactions Association (ETA)
- European Central Bank, Fourth Report on Card Fraud
- Federal Reserve System, The 2013 Federal Reserve Payments Study
- Food Marketing Institute
- Merchant Advisory Group
- National Association of Federal Credit Unions
- National ATM Council
- National Restaurant Association
- National Retail Federation
- Observatory for Payment Card Security (France), Annual Report of the Observatory for Payment Card Security
- PCI Security Standards Council
- Smart Card Alliance
- The True Cost of Data Breaches in the Payments Industry, white paper discussing
the potential costs that could be incurred as a result of a data breach.
- U.K. Cards Association
- U.K. Payments Administration