EMV Migration Forum
The EMV Migration Forum is an independent, cross-industry body created by the Smart Card Alliance on July 31, 2012 to address issues that require broad cooperation and coordination across many constituents in the payments space in order to successfully introduce secure EMV contact and contactless technology in the United States. It has been widely agreed that cross-industry cooperation is essential to ultimately benefit both the payment ecosystem and consumers, and to that end, a broad cross-section of leading payments brands, issuers, payments processors, and industry suppliers were behind establishing the Forum. The Forum offers a neutral environment for payments ecosystem stakeholders to address topics that require some level of industry cooperation and/or coordination to migrate successfully to EMV technology in the United States. The EMV Migration Forum currently has more than 140 members companies, including global payments brands, financial institutions, merchants, processors, acquirers, regional debit networks, industry associations and industry suppliers. Learn more about Forum members.Register
EMV Migration Forum ActivitiesThe EMV Migration Forum membership and Steering Committee develop the priority topics and establish the plans for addressing and communicating the topics and conclusions to the industry. The following activities – many of which require some level of industry cooperation and/or coordination to migrate successfully to EMV chip technology in the United States – comprise the majority of Forum work:
- Providing guidance on technical issues, consumer awareness and other non-proprietary issues relating to industry-wide adoption of EMV chip technology
- Developing non-proprietary best practices and training materials necessary for successful adoption of EMVchip-enabled cards, devices, and terminals within the United States
- Discussing the coordination of process-related elements of the payments infrastructure necessary to introduce an EMVchip-enabled payment system
- Discussing and engaging in projects to facilitate consumer adoption and allow for a more consistent consumer experience
EMV Migration Forum MeetingsThe Forum meets in quarterly face-to-face meetings to discuss and address points which require some level of industry cooperation and/or coordination. Working committees have been formed to address specific aspects of the EMV migration. Working committees are supported by volunteers from a diverse set of member organizations and individual member participants from the Forum membership and meet regularly via teleconferences and web conference calls. Learn more about the next meeting.
EMV Chip Migration in the United StatesCommonly used globally in place of magnetic stripe, EMV chip technology drastically reduces card fraud in a face-to-face card-present environment; provides global interoperability; and enables safer and smarter transactions across cards and contactless channels. American Express, Discover, MasterCard and Visa have all announced their plans for supporting an EMVchip-based payments infrastructure in the U.S., with acquirer processor readiness mandates to support chip data in place for 2013, and liability shifts for managing fraud risk in a face-to-face environment set for 2015. Read more about the support from the Payments Industry. We invite you to visit the following links to learn more about the EMV Migration Forum.
- Become a Member/Submit an Application
- EMV Migration Forum FAQs
- EMV Migration Forum at a Glance
- Forum Member Login
- Member Information and Membership Levels
- Membership by Products/Services
- Steering Committee Members and Staff
- Working Committees and Special Interest Groups
Please log in to access this page.