EMV Migration Forum
The EMV Migration Forum is an independent, cross-industry body created by the Smart Card Alliance on July 31, 2012 to address issues that require broad cooperation and coordination across many constituents in the payments space in order to successfully introduce secure EMV contact and contactless technology in the United States. It has been widely agreed that cross-industry cooperation is essential to ultimately benefit both the payment ecosystem and consumers, and to that end, a broad cross-section of leading payments networks, issuers, payments processors, and industry suppliers were behind establishing the Forum. The Forum offers a neutral environment for payments ecosystem stakeholders to address topics that require some level of industry cooperation and/or coordination to migrate successfully to EMV technology in the United States.
The EMV Migration Forum currently has more than 170 members companies, including global payments networks, financial institutions, merchants, processors, acquirers, domestic debit networks, industry associations and industry suppliers.
EMV Migration Forum Activities
The EMV Migration Forum membership and Steering Committee develop the priority topics and establish the plans for addressing and communicating the topics and conclusions to the industry. The following activities – many of which require some level of industry cooperation and/or coordination to migrate successfully to EMV chip technology in the United States – comprise the majority of Forum work:
- Providing guidance on technical issues, consumer awareness and other non-proprietary issues relating to industry-wide adoption of EMV chip technology
- Developing non-proprietary best practices and training materials necessary for successful adoption of EMV chip-enabled cards, devices, and terminals within the United States
- Discussing the coordination of process-related elements of the payments infrastructure necessary to introduce an EMV chip-enabled payment system
- Discussing and engaging in projects to facilitate consumer adoption and allow for a more consistent consumer experience
EMV Migration Forum Meetings
The Forum meets in quarterly face-to-face meetings to discuss and address points which require some level of industry cooperation and/or coordination. Working committees have been formed to address specific aspects of the EMV migration. Working committees are supported by volunteers from a diverse set of member organizations and individual member participants from the Forum membership and meet regularly via teleconferences and web conference calls.
EMV Chip Migration in the United States
Commonly used globally in place of magnetic stripe, EMV chip technology reduces card fraud in a face-to-face card-present environment; provides global interoperability; and enables safer and smarter transactions across cards and contactless channels. The United States is migrating to EMV chip technology, with consumers now using EMV chip cards at chip-enabled merchant locations nationwide.
We invite you to visit the following links to learn more about the EMV Migration Forum.
- Become a Member/Submit an Application
- EMV Forum Member Recognition
- EMV Migration Forum FAQs
- EMV Migration Forum at a Glance
- Forum Member Login
- Member Information and Membership Levels
- Membership by Products/Services
- Steering Committee Members and Staff
- Working Committees and Special Interest Groups